We eat mostly Paleo in our home. We still enjoy treat foods and celebrating with food when we are with friends, but I do my best to not buy foods to store in our home that are not good nutritional choices ( we have no will power).
As a mom of five kids, I can tell you that it is not always easy to feed my kids healthy foods all the time. I have learned to be sneaky.
My number one sneaky vehicle is a smoothie. I can pack that this full of nutrient dense whole food, and they will normally suck it right down (although, I have had some fails along the way.)
I do a couple of varieties, but will normally choose from the lists of ingredients below. Check it out.
Whole Food Smoothie Ingredient List
Veggies – Kids should be getting at least 8 servings of vegetables per day.
That is a lot, and it means we need a veggie at every meal and snack. Check out this podcast about healthy family eating habits.
Here are some veggies that I love adding to our smoothies.
· Romain lettuce
· (any other fresh green leafy from our garden)
· Avocado (I love to add these – they bring so much creaminess to the party)
· Beets or beet powder
· Lemon juice
Any leftover veggie in the fridge that needs to be used
Nutrient Dense Kick
· Cooked Chicken Liver (this is a secret weapon – I pressure cook these over the weekend and sneak them in smoothies)
· Supplements (I always use my kids smoothie as a vehicle for whatever supplement we need at the moment) – usually vit D/k drops, vit A, vit C, fish oil, etc.
· Almond Butter – I will add a spoon of almond butter if this is a meal replacement (quick breakfast)
· Cacao powder – The kids love the chocolate flavor
· Handful of nuts (we love cashews)
· I try to keep the fruit content low, but here are some things that I will drop in to sweeten up the mix (not all at one time)
· Frozen Blueberries
· Frozen Strawberries
· Dates – these add a great sweetness
I normally use a combination of the items listed below
· Coconut Milk
· Berkey Filtered Water & Coconut Cream
· Almond Milk
I do not like prepackaged smoothie mixes because you can’t control what is in them.
Also, the plastic packaging always makes me uncomfortable.
Let me know how you make your whole-food smoothies. What other sneaky things do you add? Leave a comment below.